The article discusses a few major characters, that readers of the books have been looking forward to seeing. One character that really caught my eye, although she is not what you would call a traditional “major character”, is Maggy the Frog.
In this article, I am going to discuss Maggy and which major character she will be interacting with. If you do not want spoilers, then I suggest you stop here.
WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD
Maggy the Frog is a fortune teller, who was rumored to have actual magical powers, in regards to seeing the future. As a young girl, Cersei and her friends went to see the seer, during a tournament that was being held for King Aerys Targaryen (The Mad King), when he visited the Westerlands.
Cersei was infatuated with King Aerys’ son, Prince Rhaegar, and she wanted Maggy to tell her if she would marry the Prince. At first, Maggy refused to tell Cersei her future, but after Cersei threatened to tell her father, Maggy relented. Maggy gave Cersei three questions that would be answered, and she named the telling, The Prophecy of the Valonqar. (Valonqar is High Valyrian for little brother)
“When will I wed the prince?” she asked.
“Never. You will wed the king.”
“I will be queen, though?” asked the younger her.
“Aye.” Malice gleamed in Maggys yellow eyes. “Queen you shall be . . . until there comes another, younger and more beautiful, to cast you down and take all that you hold dear.”
“Will the king and I have children?” she asked.
“Oh, aye. Six-and-ten for him, and three for you.”
The old woman was not done with her, however. “Gold shall be their crowns and gold their shrouds,” she said. “And when your tears have drowned you, the valonqar shall wrap his hands about your pale white throat and choke the life from you.”
The Prophecy of the Valonqar has haunted Cersei her entire adult life, and if you go back and look closely, part of the prophecy is coming true.
1. Cersei never married a prince, she married King Robert Baratheon
2. Cersei was made the Queen, and right now, she is busy attempting to thwart Margaery Tyrell from taking her spot as Queen. Margaery is definitely younger and more beautiful than Cersei.
3. Cersei and Robert never had children…together. As we all know, Cersei’s three children are all products of her incestuous relationship with her twin brother, Jaime. King Robert had many bastard children with other women, and although I do not recall the exact number being stated in the books, it could be close to 16.
4. The first part of the final statement of the prophecy is the most chilling. “Gold shall be their crowns and gold their shrouds.” Cersei’s oldest child, Joffrey, was crowned king, thus donning a golden crown, and in death he was covered with a golden shroud.
5. The final part of the prophecy foretells of the valonqar who will wrap his hands around Cersei’s pale white throat and choke the life from her. Knowing that Valonqar is High Valyrian for “little brother”, is the valonqar, Tyrion?
Many theories abound on the internet, of who the valonqar actually is, with the most popular, obviously being Tyrion. However, a number of cases can be made for other characters, in Cersei’s life, who might fit the role of The Valonqar.
Jaime, Cersei’s twin brother, is actually younger than Cersei, by a few minutes. This technically makes Jaime, a valonqar. But, could he be The Valonqar?
Arya Stark is heading to Braavos to learn the craft of the faceless men, where the acolytes are called brothers. We all know that Cersei is at the top of Arya’s list of names that she recites each night, before going to sleep. Will Arya return to King’s Landing, and finally exact revenge, in the form of The Valonqar?
Cersei’s youngest son, Tommen, is now the King, and he is also the younger brother of Joffrey. Could The Valonqar actually be Tommen? Could young, sweet Tommen be convinced to kill his mother? He is a Lannister, I would not put it past him, especially if Margaery Tyrell holds any power over the boy king.
Regardless of who The Valonqar actually is, and whether or not the prophecy will come to pass, it is safe to say that season 5 of Game of Thrones, will be exciting. I have long wondered about Maggy the Frog, and to actually get to see her on the small screen, will undoubtedly be a treat!
Are you excited about digging deeper into Cersei’s past, next season? Who do you think The Valonqar could be? Let me know in the comments below.